HOMILY FOR 26TH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME YEAR C
SUNDAY HOMILY THEME: Heaven or Hell?
BY: Rev Fr Livinus Igbodekwe
HOMILY: There are sermons that don’t provoke laughter and applause whenever they are preached. These sermons are called serious sermons because they speak to the soul not the emotions. I know that Jesus looked serious whilst preaching this sermon for us to take the reality of heaven and hell very seriously.
Lessons to be learned:
1. Name mentioned: Lazarus is a form of Eleazar (God will help). This signals when man fails to help, God will. Lazarus’ name was mentioned because his name though was not known in the world was recorded in the book of life.
2. Fashionable Dives: that your body is prospering doesn’t mean that your soul is prosperous (3 Jn 2). His flesh looked smooth and his clothes assorted and his cars flashy. While Lazarus came with tattered cloths and wounds over his body and had to be carried by merciful persons to the rich man’s gate.
3. Rich table with sumptuous delicacies: He had dogs that fed in his house that grew as big as lions while there was no offer extended to the poor and sick Lazarus. The dogs even came out when the meal was not ready to lick Lazarus sores.
4. Leveled by death: “onwu ama onye ukwu”. They both died but Lazarus died first because he had little to sustain life with. There is no bribing one’s way when it comes to death and judgment. Reward awaited Lazarus while eternal punishment awaited the rich man. The one who laughs last laughs best.
5. Lesson learned too late: he now knew the irreversible and irremediable agony in hell fire. His earthly consolations were gone. He was left alone with a message which he wanted Lazarus to go preach to his household but that was not permissible because the preachers were still in the world. If Lazarus was allowed to go preach to the rich man’s household, what do you think would be the message? Something like this, “help the poor and evade hell” or “if you don’t help the poor you will likewise perish in hell”.
HOMILY FOR 26TH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME.
FOR A SIMILAR HOMILY, CLICK HERE>>>>