On Saturday, 27th August 2022, Pope Francis will create 21 new cardinals at a consistory.
The new cardinals include:
1. Archbishop Arthur Roche – Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments
2. Archbishop Lazzaro You Heung sik – Prefect of the Congregation for the Clergy
3. Archbishop Fernando Vérgez Alzaga, L.C. – President of the Pontifical Commission for Vatican City State and President of the Governorate for Vatican City State
4. Archbishop Jean-Marc Aveline – Metropolitan Archbishop of Marseille (France)
5. Bishop Peter Okpaleke – Bishop of Ekwulobia (Nigeria)
6. Archbishop Leonardo Ulrich Steiner, O.F.M. – Metropolitan Archbishop of Manaus (Brazil)
7. Archbishop Filipe Neri António Sebastião di Rosário Ferrão – Archbishop of Goa and Damão (India)
8. Bishop Robert Walter McElroy – Bishop of San Diego (U.S.A)
9. Archbishop Virgilio Do Carmo Da Silva, S.D.B. – Archbishop of Dili (East Timor)
10. Bishop Oscar Cantoni – Bishop of Como (Italy)
11. Archbishop Anthony Poola – Archbishop di Hyderabad (India).
12. Archbishop Paulo Cezar Costa – Metropolitan Archbishop of Brasília (Brazil)
13. Bishop Richard Kuuia Baawobr, M. Africa – Bishop of Wa (Ghana)
14. Archbishop William Goh Seng Chye – Archbishop of Singapore (Singapore)
15. Archbishop Adalberto Martínez Flores – Metropolitan Archbishop of Asunción (Paraguay)
16. Archbishop Giorgio Marengo, I.M.C. – Apostolic Prefect of Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)
17. Archbishop Jorge Enrique Jiménez Carvajal – Archbishop Emeritus of Cartagena (Colombia)
18. Bishop Lucas Van Looy, S.D.B. – Bishop Emeritus of Gent (Belgium)
19. Archbishop Arrigo Miglio – Archbishop Emeritus of Cagliari (Italy)
20. Fr. Gianfranco Ghirlanda, S.J. – Professor di Theology
21. Msgr. Fortunato Frezza – Canon of Saint Peter’s Basilica
The ceremony will be followed by the Vatican’s traditional “courtesy visit,” in which the new cardinals greet the general public.